The three H2020 projects SERENA, car2TERA and GRACE have organized a Winter School “Technology and Integration Platforms for Future mm-wave Communication and Radar Applications”, which took place from 15th – 17th January 2020 at Chalmers University in Gothenburg, Sweden. The winter school was particularly targeted towards PhD students and young researchers and the organizers attracted an international audience with participants from various countries.
The organizers have compiled a comprehensive three-day program where renowned international experts from academia and leading industries gave tutorial talks on up-to-date research trends for future wireless technology – from semiconductors to millimetre wave systems. The first day was dedicated to trends and requirements in emerging wireless systems. Speakers from major companies and the Swedish Defence Research Agency gave insights in 5G and beyond mobile communications, sensor technologies for automotive industry and short-range mm-wave radar sensors for airbone applications. In the morning session of the second day industry experts, as well as university professors focused their talks on technology and circuits for mm-wave communication and sensing. Silicon and Gallium Nitride technology trends as well as SiGe and GaN circuit design research were discussed. In the afternoon the experts put their focus on emerging mm-wave technologies and system integration. To conclude the comprehensive Winter School, experts from academia concentrated on system level design and analysis, by presenting basic principles and research trends regarding mm-wave communication and radar sensing, as well as multi-physics simulation of mm-wave systems. Offline discussions continued in a less formal setting during the breaks, common social activities or the lab tours. The Winter School was a great success, with excellent collaboration among organizers and speakers and of course the high interest among the participants, who even joined the Winter School via a live stream webinar.
Here are the links to the presentations:
- Sensor technologies for automotive industry (Olof Eriksson – Veoneer)
- Short-range mm-wave radar sensors for airborne applications (Robert Malmqvist – FOI)
- Silicon technology trends (Franz Dielacher – Infineon)
- GaN technology trends (Mohamed Khenissa – OMMIC)
- GaN HEMT and MMICs at Chalmers (Niklas Rorsman – Chalmers)
- GaN Power Apmlifiers (Florent Gamand – MC2)
- Mm wave GaN signal source design (Dan Kuylenstierna – Chalmers)
- Packaging and system integration platforms II (Tanja Braun – Fraunhofer IZM)
- Micromachining for mm-wave and sub-mm-wave components systems (Joachim Oberhammer – KTH)
- Mm-wave communication and radar sensing (Giuseppe Caire – TU Berlin)
- Multi-physics simulation of mm-wave systems (Christian Fager – Chalmers)handout-winter-school